Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Mystery of the Dress Form - L

I got a dress form yesterday.  My son (nearly 10 yr) told me it was 'fascinating and disturbing'.  I set it up and dialed in my corseted measurements.  And I knew it was wrong.   I had expected the bust line would be too small because they didn't offer 'my' size.  So I draped the polonaise over it and...nope, doesn't even go on.  So I strapped on the corset, grabbed the measuring tape and compared: 
  • The waist was actually larger than the numbers on the dial indicated so I adjusted it. 
  • Strangely, I needed to make it nearly an inch smaller than my actual waist to get the polonaise to fit like it fits on me. 
  • I adjusted the bust size down, because I couldn't get the dress over the shoulders.  I think this is because I'm much smaller across the back and shoulders than most people with my measurements. 
  • The smallest neck size is over half an inch bigger than my neck. 
I still don't have it right but I'm going to keep fiddling until it's better.  And I haven't even started to figure out how I'll represent my chest.  So now I know that I won't be able to actually design and fit on the form.  I will be able to get close though, and can take better photos.    The form is all dressed up in my outfit, sitting in the corner of my bedroom (I has a happy!)

Next I flopped into bed to start reading Margo Anderson's binders that come with her Renaissance patterns  Margo Anderson's Costumes   I love all the information and detail and especially the comprehensive instructions.  Except I'm completely intimidated.  I am really hoping that it's just all the detail that has me flustered and that when I actually get down to making a garment I'll be fine.  In my mind, this was going to be a simpler project where I could add 'extras' as I went along.  Clearly that is not the case.  I will need to actually make some decisions before I start cutting.  Not all decisions, but more than I expected.  And I'm now terrified of the sheer quantity of fabric I will be wearing.  This is California....I may expire!

(keep telling myself 'start small, make the underwear first')

Sorry! No picture.  It was just too fun lying there looking at the dress form. 

No comments:

Post a Comment