Friday, September 9, 2011

The Feed Dogs Ate My Homework!

No pics on this travesty, but last night I started the machine embroidery on the corset.  I did the test swatch and it came out beautifully.  I decided I'd do it exactly the same, not changing thread colors, rather, all in white. After fiddling with the test design's placement, I traced the hoop outlines with tracing paper on to the corset, hooped it and started stitching.  Everything was going fine until I noticed the top thread was pulling the bobbin thread up about 1/2 inch - waaay too much and it just looked funky.  I stopped the machine, looked underneath the hoop and saw a huge wad of thread the size of my thumb jammed into the feed dogs.  I believe, now, that I forgot to lower them and created such a mess of the corset that I'll now have to cut out two additional front pieces.  In the interest of time, I'm now abandoning the idea of machine embroidering the corset and will make it plain. A decorated corset will have to wait. I was so sad that I couldn't save the corset fronts and that my original plan was a complete and utter failure, not to mention a big time-suck. I actually felt like crying, I'm so frustrated with the process. But tomorrow is another day and I have this evening scheduled for cutting, so let's see how that goes.

1 comment: