When Laura announced a single fabric challenge on the Shear Madness FB page, I was all in. The fabric is cotton with a floral/vine print and lots of birds. All in shades of blue and white. By 'single fabric' the costume is supposed to be made with the chosen fabric as the focus. I came back from Costume College with a strong desire to make a jacket/curacao/casaquin targeting the 1780's (which I'm not sure I did, it might be earlier). I'm not terribly worried about historical accuracy and the fabric 'reads' 18C but clearly is not. In addition, during our spring trip to Morocco, I suffered a little anxiety on a camel that enjoyed his liberty a little too much. We took to yelling 'liberte' every time he pulled loose from the line, with me on his back. Happily, he never took off across the desert. So for me it's all about French Revolution and freedom seeking camels from a (previously) French speaking country, and birds. I'm a part time birder.
|See the faded birds in the center...print matching the bodice|
Everything but the stays had to be made. The jacket is the focus, and is made from the challenge fabric, plus a little of the solid blue left over from my Neried skirt.
|aww, look...they're kissing!|
Finally, I decided to add a faux belt in front because I like the look of the dress at left. I even made my red ribbon striped by sewing some thin white ribbon over it.
And I left a little gap where the print meets the blue at the center front so I could pull my fichu through. Which I then forgot to do in all the pictures
|pull fichu through here, unless you forget|
|finished skirt and shoes|
Petticoat and petticoat - because we have to call them the same thing? Both were made using tutorials from The Fashionable Past (Koshka) The under petticoat was made from old sheets and really should be remade since it's too limp. The skirt is white cotton voile with a big ruffle. I don't have any construction photos available. Oops. I also made a rump pad. It's a largish stuffed rectangle that ties around my waist. I may remake that too since I'm not super happy with the shape. Or not, because I'm not sure how often I will need it.
Kerchief/fichu- based on 10 minutes of research, typically 36 in square. Quick math gives a hypotenuse of 51 inches. Just about perfect unless you're rather tall with a large chest. Quick estimate with a measuring tape yields 55 inches, plus seam allowance = 56. Reverse the math, 39 1/2 inches on each side. I used some beautiful sheer cotton voile and hand hemmed it. Hand hems are much softer and more fluid than a machine seam. Also much, much slower. Now that I have this, I will be less concerned about my necklines. I can make them lower and not worry about massive cleavage since I can cover it up.
The hat. It's made
I made the birdcage from some wired burlap stuff on sale at Michael's. I cut it, shaped it and set it with white glue. I cut out a square for the cage door, and used scraps to MAKE a cage door which I tacked on. Then I spray painted it gold.
The bird was the challenge. I wanted a bluebird, that was flying free from the cage. And I assumed that one could simply buy a bluebird with outstretched wings. But NOOO.
So I got a wingless bluebird and a made wings.
Finally, I glued them to the sides of the bird. They only fell off twice. And I'm only a little bit bothered that they aren't anything like actual bird wings....
I'm actually really happy with my bird. I got it done, attached it to the cage and the beak fell off. Oh happy, happy glue.
The final parts of the hat are the banner and the cockade.
The banner is blue grosgrain with wire sewn in. I painted 'Liberte' on both sides and added gentle folds to make it 'float'. This is the shout out to my charming Moroccan camel.