There are a ton of tutorials on the interwebs. I won't repeat them. I used regular paper to make a model. I used that as a pattern for the craft foam. I didn't seal the craft foam with glue. I did heat it to shape it. The heat seemed to seal it a bit. Then I spray painted. The paint makes it brittle. Then I used Rub n'Buff. Turns out, you can put Rub n'Buff directly on the foam and it works OK. Yes, it's more expensive than spray paint, but I am impatient. Also, I feel like the heat shaping wasn't really necessary since the foam was forced into shape by gluing. I do think that heat sealing is a good idea but use care since heat can make the foam shrink.
I used hot glue to put the pieces together. I used Rub n'Buff to make the finish look more like metal (it's wax based so it looks more 'solid'). Then I used scrapbooking brads that look like rivets to decorate. I looked at ways to use hot glue to add design but I don't have a steady hand or any drawing talent. Luckily it peels off. Finally, I used diluted poster paint to age the finish. Being water-based, it doesn't stick to the armor at all. I had to rub the surface with a paper towel to get any paint to stick. Then I had to quickly rub the paint off. The most impressive part of all of this is that I did it while sitting in bed watching old movies.
It was fun, and I'm glad I tried it (especially the wicked spikes). Not sure if I'll do it again. I really want to try REAL metal.
I just crocheted the plastic pony beads right into the bag as part of the double crochet stitch.
Shortly we'll be posting Projects for the New Year!
There are lots.