|Jean Harlow in trousers|
I have a pin stripe cotton, mostly brown with a little blue, for the blouse. I was going to get wool flannel for the trousers but I wasn't sure I would like how the pants looked on me so I declined to invest the cash. Instead I got a dark chocolate rayon twill. It has lovely drape, though it's not very forgiving of my bumps. I actually bought all this quite a while ago and just haven't got around to sewing it.
Smooth Sailing Pants
|Hand picked zip - Not pressed|
|Welt pocket - Also NOT pressed|
Smooth Sailing Blouse
The blouse pattern fit, except the bust. Because it's made of cotton shirting and buttons down the front, I wanted to make sure I added plenty of fabric. No gap! The pattern creates bust fullness through pleating below the yoke. I added half my extra volume there. I also chose to add a bust dart, along with a little extra length in the front. Due to the extra volume at the bust, I added a second shaping dart at the waist. I'm quite content with how it worked out.
A couple of surprises with the pattern; first, the yoke is not lined and second, the shoulder seam came out slanting back over my shoulder. Neither one of these were a problem. I'm going to use the pattern again, and I will likely line the yoke and will slash and spread to move the shoulder seam closer to my actual shoulders. The yoke is fine without the lining and hangs nicely, but my next blouse will have the outside of the yoke cut on the bias (for stripe detail) and will need the support.
The shoulder seam placement meant that closing the blouse up to the neck wasn't a viable option. It will be easy to fix in the future. Note; this is related to MY shape, not a problem with the pattern.
Both these patterns were extremely easy to work with and the instructions were straightforward. I LOVE them. I'm also secretly happy that I matched stripes (sorta) at the shoulder.
|It's 7AM! Only time I had for pictures...|