Friday, February 1, 2013

Preview of Upcoming Attractions! - Lisa

Ahead of the New Year (what?  I'm from California and Chinese NY is just around the corner), I decided to post a look at what I would like to do in the year of the Snake.

But first, I also have a resolution.  When Robin and I started this blog, our plan was to post about project ideas and the process of creation.  Looking back over our recent posts I think we are failing.  Instead of a fun look at our creation process, we have mostly posted 'Look!  I made something neat!' with some pictures.  This is NOT my best effort at thoughtful posting.  It's more like an afterthought.  I CAN do better and I will attempt to do so going forward.

Now back to our program!

Outfits for specific events:
Haradrim - I've already posted this!  I made this to challenge myself to work without a pattern; I made this so I wouldn't be one among a slew of princess dresses; I made this to indulge my general bad-assedness.
All this was achieved.  I haven't worn it yet.  Knowing me, I will go to the event, stay a couple of hours and go home early.  This is one of those costumes that I enjoy making far more than wearing.  It was huge fun to make a corset bodice and do everything (intentionally) wrong and yet have it work.  I SHOULD have blogged about this.  I had fun making decorations, adding metallic rivets and painted plastic that look very different than the original materials.  It has also provided inspiration for a couple ideas creeping around the back of my head.  So... Success!

Steampunk Ass-Kraken - I want to make something out of metal; I want to make a 'structural' bustle that can be worn as an ornament on it's own; I want to incorporate light and/or movement in a costume.  I'm in waaay over my head, but having fun.

1920's - 30's for the Gatsby Picnic - Robin is going, and is making a dress.  I love the sound of it but I'm still waffling.  Let's face it, I'm fat and this era is brutal on fat chicks.  At my age I should be OVER it but I'm not.  That said, I have a 1911 pattern that I love.  If I made it shorter (mid calf) I think it would 'read' early 1930s.  That's my plan.  The pattern is the wrong size so I need to make and fit a muslin.  IF that works, I have two different lawn fabrics with contrasting trim that would make up wonderfully for this event.

Medieval - Robin and I are going to Costume College!  Part of the program is an 'ice cream social' in medieval garb.  So while I chose not to be a 'princess' for LOTR, that doesn't mean I don't want to actually make a princess dress.  I have a pattern for a bliaut and was going to try and make one.  But after thinking hard, I realize that using the same costume pattern that Robin used for her LOTR will result in a more flattering fit.  Basically, who doesn't want a princess dress?  Even if it's not so very flattering.

Also for Costume College - There is a Pajama Breakfast, and a Pirate Tea.  I will wear my princess slip and my polonaise, respectively, after some alterations.  Nothing major, but absolutely essential.  There is also a 'Fantasy' evening that is wide open to anything.  I will either wear the Haradrim or the Ass-Kraken.  Whichever I'm most fond of when I'm packing.

Renaissance Dress - I'm two thirds of the way through this.  We haven't picked a fair for this year, and I'm waiting for Robin to decide.  But I would dearly like to finish this monster just to clear the sewing room and my brain.

Outfits I WANT (that I don't have a specific place to wear) - 
Steampunk/Miliitary Jacket - I have had the fabric for two years.  I have looked at a variety of patterns.  I'm indecisive.
 
I have both of these patterns.  I think I'm going to use the Truly Victorian since I plan to wear this with a bustle skirt.  But I crave the asymmetry of the modern jacket.  Plus, I wanted to make the top work like reveres, pivoting from the lowest button.  Well, no one said I can't make two!

The jacket from True Grit - NOT 'her father's jacket' that she wears on the trail, but the simple jacket she wears at the beginning of the movie.  I have no pattern.  I will have to modify an existing pattern or drape it.  And draping it is my challenge.  A quick reminder picture:


1940's vintage swing coat - Pattern and fabric acquired.  I need to make the time.  And I want it to look classy and properly tailored so I need to NOT be in a hurry.  This will improve my skills. Plus, swing coat!

1912 Project Duster - I have the pattern, the fabric and the lining.  I need to re-size the pattern and make a muslin.  I also need to make a decision about the lining.  I bought a beautiful fabric - in fact, SO beautiful that I want to do something else with it.  Anything else, but resign it to lining a coat I may never wear. This is a 'skill builder' and it may turn out awesome.

Bustle Dresses - I want them all!  I have a smooth slightly shiny light grey wool and just bought a black, tan and white stripe fabric for accent.  I have ruby red silk and dark green silk on the way.  So many ideas!!!

I also want to do these things:

learn to use my drop spindle, 
weave a shawl  
knit at least 5 pairs of socks
knit a sweater that I actually wear
re-do the peplum on the 1912 Blouse 1000
make that old brown Steampunk skirt look a bit weathered and tattered and a lot shorter 
crotchet black fingerless gloves


So I'm vowing right now that I will post at LEAST weekly and plan on twice a week.  I will post by project with more detail.  I will update posts more often and then move them to the top of the blog so it isn't such a search to find things.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment