Monday, October 22, 2012

Halloween interruption - part 2 - L & R

We had a long postponed sewing day yesterday.  It had been AGES (OK, months)...

We had recently found beautiful lightweight wool on sale and bought enough to make cloaks. We both had the McCalls costume pattern and we both really wanted a cloak.  And really, who doesn't?

Robin chose ballet pink as lining under black crepe wool.  I chose a dark burgundy under a woven black wool.  We each chose to make modifications.
Robin loved the full hood that gathers around the face, but she didn't like the simple rolled collar.  She made an large upright collar trimmed with a ruffle.  I had initial qualms, but it turned out fantastic!
I kept the rolled collar, but wanted fewer ruffles around my face so I redrafted a more traditional hood.  I haven't finished it yet so I'm not sure how it will come out.

Both of us wanted the hood to be removable.  We are attaching the hood under the collar with buttons.  Oddly, Robin suspects she will rarely use it, and I suspect I will keep mine buttoned on.  But options are awesome.  We had the, admittedly, silly idea that we could complete these in a day.  We did not.  One thing that slowed us down was my needing to help my daughter on her polonaise.  She's nearly done now.  And she used some of our precious sewing machine time. In addition, I was slowed dramatically by a major sewing error, when I put the wrong pieces together on the outside of my cape.  I didn't discover it until I was nearly ready to sew on the collar.  I had to take practically the entire thing apart to fix it, but it HAD to be done.  It was hanging very oddly.  We didn't take pictures.  We were busy cutting and pressing and pinning and sewing.


Robin has also been busy with Halloween stuff:  She and her beau went to a Zombie Pub crawl.


Eating innocent bystanders


Needed an quick, dirty and cheap Zombie costume for a Zombie Beer Crawl so off to the Goodwill.  I found a lovely blue and white checked number, so innocent and sweet.  I thought that it, plus my little bowed flats would contrast nicely with the Zombie makeup.  I ordered a wig (Jailbait is its name) from an online costume house, pulled my own hair through the front and stuck leaves in it. Then I did my zombie makeup.  I think I died in 1982, so should be well-rotted by now. I had a slit in the abdomen of the dress through which peaked a “festering sore” bit of stick-one makeup.  All in all, I terrorized many a child and a few adults, too! - R

No comments:

Post a Comment