Friday, February 17, 2012
VPLL 1912 - progress on the Princess Slip
Finally, I just started. The beaded lace at the neck is just pinned on since I want to sew it around the neckline all at once. I got the pintucks made on one side and will finish tonight. I think I'm only going to use gathers at the bottom. Also, I'm starting to suspect that the bottom of the 'top' will not be level. I'll need to shorten at the side seams and maybe a bit in the center to avoid bagging around the waist.
Next step is to figure out placement of shoulder seams and side seams. I'm going to do it while wearing it. Should be interesting.
My plan is to pin the shoulders and side seams and mark where I want the armscye. If I use bias binding around the arm hole, I don't have to try to figure out 'fit + seam allowance' plus it will look and feel better. I have a clever plan to add a sort of flap at the shoulder and attach lace. If it works, it will add the illusion of wider shoulders to balance the rest of me. Pictures soon!
This is my first ever try at pin tucks and insertion lace. I also used french seams everywhere there isn't lace. Haven't done that since the 60's when I was a fetus.
I still need some ribbon for the beading, and some small buttons for the back. I need to cut the lower front. And then I need to make about 9 yards of pleated flounce with a lace insertion. And there goes my long weekend!
I've added a very blurry picture of the back. Showing off my tiny french seams. I only had a little 'leakage' in a couple spots.
I also finished the vest and will try and start the frock coat this weekend. Also, maybe go outside and get some exercise.