Monday, January 30, 2012
Time crunch - Sleeves are mostly fixed - L
I did however get the sleeves 'fixed' on my blouse. The major problem was that they were just too short. I had the option of taking them out and re-doing them or trying to make them longer. Since the blouse is sort of Edwardian and the sleeves are full at the top, I opted to add fabric above the elbow and try to disguise the addition.
The hardest part, by far, was picking a spot to cut.
Basically, the decision was to cut level to the bottom of the sleeve but above the elbow. Next I had to decide how much to add, and how I would add it. I decided to add pleats to disguise the seam lines. This would also allow me to enclose the seam within the pleat so it wouldn't show. And I decided on 1/2 inch pleats. I wanted to add 3 inches, so the piece I added was 6 inches wide (3 inch length + 1 inch each for pleats + 1 inch for seam allowances). And after I added it, I didn't like it! So I added more.
Now I'm happy with them. Off course now that the sleeve fits, I have to add another button near the wrist, and make the button loop smaller. I had left the wrist opening really big/loose because the sleeve was too short.
I still need to re-cut the muslin for the tea dress. I really want to start cartridge pleating the skirt of my renaissance dress. And I need to get all this done before we get our first pattern from the 1912 project.
The 1912 project has gotten huge! There are now 400 people. We have not got a pattern yet, but when we do, I'm sure I'll get excited and focus on that to the detriment of everything else. I'm bad that way. Really bad. Like 'mom, I don't have any clean clothes' bad.....