Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Some things are done, and ironing - L

Ahead of our Saturday sewing day, I got a couple things done and began organizing the stuff I'm bringing to Robin's house.  First, my daughter's skirt is done.  I hate hate hate the fabric and I suffered, but it's done.  Also I knit an 'Edwardian Jacket' and am finished.  I probably picked the wrong yarn since it completely eliminates any semblance of waist when I wear it.  Here they are:
For the record, I will never plan to sew ribbon to a bias cut skirt made of super-slippery fabric ever, ever, again.  I measured and pinned, and measured and sewed and kept measuring and sewing.  And all the parts slipped and skewed under the feed dogs and in between my fingers.  I love the stripes at the bottom but they don't bear close examination.  The sweater was really fun to make and I learned a lot.  I have never tried to follow a pattern for a sweater before.  Never knit a garment before.  In fact I just learned how to read a pattern (sort of).  I taught myself to modify the number of stitches to adjust for my gauge, and I learned to make buttonholes and a collar.  I didn't even try hard to match the color shift but if looks fine (at least to me).  So what if it is the single most unflattering sweater I have?  I did it!

I also washed some new fabrics and started to iron them.  I hate ironing even more than I hate that slippery fabric.  Two bolts of muslin still await me tonight.  Do I sound cranky?  You betcha.  Here's what I'm working on this Saturday:
Finish the front closure of the polonaise - or choose the closure and get part of it done
Fit the bustle tapes
Start on my hat - I bought some stuff to put on it
Take a picture!
Trace my renaissance patterns in my size
Fit my daughter's bustle and apron
Sew on my daughter's sleeves.
Choose trim for her bodice
Come up with ideas for modding a jacket into a frock coat for her boyfriend.

It IS a lot, but my daughter will attend and do much of this herself.  I hope.  And come what may, the polonaise will be complete by the end of the weekend.  That's the whole outfit except the hat!

We always dream of getting a lot more done than we actually accomplish. Not that we don't work really, really hard on sewing days, it's just that we dream really, really big (and have major time management problems, never realizing how long it takes to do stuff)!  

And, Lisa, the skirt looks great.  Anyone who bends down to really look at the stripes must be intent on some sort of perversion and will be hastily dispatched! Or at least "shooed". 

No comments:

Post a Comment