Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Bustle is almost done, and spats! - Lisa (new Pics!)

In an effort to avoid anything complicated, I finished the knitted spats.  Hmmm, the second one was a lot harder.  Note to self:  when making up a pattern, write down what you're doing so that you can do it again without stopping to count and measure every two rows.  (Note from Rob: Divide your yarn into two balls, knit them both at the same time, both spats - or sleeves or whatever you need multiples of - and you don't have to worry about having them match - it will be automatic!) I think they're cute and by simply threading a black ribbon through the knit, they are adjustable to a variety of shoes.  Here's a picture of a finished spat, and also the finished spat along side the basic knitted shape, accompanied by the obligatory crafty cat.  Apologies again for image quality, but phone pictures are just too easy!!!  (and for the record, I doubt I will actually wear these)


I'm also nearly done with the travel bustle.  I still want to cover the black canvas with something a bit prettier and smoother.  I don't want the fabric rubbing against whatever I wear underneath and possible dislodging critical garments.  Also, if I were to shrink dramatically, or want a fuller bustle, I can take a tuck in the canvas back and it will be fuller and narrower.  Here are a couple blurry pictures of the basic framework and the mostly decorated detail.

                                                                                      
All done! 

2 comments:

  1. Because I don't have two sets of needles in the same size? Because I didn't have a pattern and didn't know if I would like it once I got the first one made? Because if I EVER want to do this again, it would be nice to have a pattern? Wait...I didn't write it down the second time either. (Lisa) Does your chain feel jerked yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't need two SETS of needles of the same size, just two needles the same size. You have THAT, don't you? You cast on one, then cast on for the next one with the other ball. You knit a row. That transfers to the other needle. You knit a row on the cast on, that transfers to the other needle. Voila! You've knitted a row for each. The only thing you have to remember is NEVER stop between pieces! That way the number of rows per piece is always equal. And yes, I read that in a knitting book.

    ReplyDelete