Sunday, January 18, 2015

While I was working - L

I'm still working on my two bigger projects, but I've done a few other things.  I'm being driven crazy trying to modify a 1930's dress that I'm pattern-testing.  I woke up this morning with another idea on how to make it fit.  I have to size it up quite a bit and the FBA is in the center front.  Every time I try it, the center 'V' is way too deep or the bodice sags badly under the bust.  But I think I figured it out.  More to come.

I'm participating in the Lowell Mill dress group on FB, so I'm making a corded petticoat.  So boring and yet so frustrating.  I'm fairly confident that 1830's dress will not be flattering and the fabric is lovely yet frumpy.  I just really want to do it.  I don't even have any place to wear it, except maybe Dickens Fair.






















And I got my first paid commission.  A friend wanted a 1920's party dress.  She didn't need to be historically accurate and doesn't like the rectangular 20's bodice.  Lucky for me, she had an amazing sequined minidress.  I made a simple skirt with a silver sequined handkerchief hem overlay.  She also had a small feathered hair clip that we took over-the-top.  She's happy and I'm happy.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the paid opportunity to abuse the style rules! I am all about that!

    As for your trip to frumpytown, there's two ways of looking at it.
    1) I tell my kids all the time that you just have to finish the job you started, no matter how pointless it seems to you now. You will learn something.
    2) You and I are old enough to know that is a lie at this age. You already learned those lessons. If it stinks, stop. Unless you have a brilliant non stinky idea, it will just continue to stink more.
    3) Do Dickens folk dress badly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IMHO, 1830's dresses are pretty frumpy, especially for a fuller-figured human. But I revel in frump.

      Delete